Thursday, August 19, 2010

Anyone Want To Fund A Chair At The D.L. Menard School of Marketing?

I love Cajun music. Now, I realize Cajun music is really just polkas with fiddles and steel guitars instead of wind instruments, so, by extension, there is no reason why properly played Polish polkas should not be every bit as cool as Cajun songs, but I love Polish polkas too, so at least my yin equals my yang in the ethnic-music department.

One of the all-time greats in Cajun music is D.L. Menard. D.L. Menard is no relation to John Menard, the genius behind the Menard hardware chain and the bankroll behind his son's rotten racing career. However, D.L. has it all over John when it comes to knowing his marketing.

My favorite D.L. Menard album, both from a musical and marketing standpoint, is titled "No Matter Where You At, There You Are."

Think about that from a marketing standpoint. Marketers expend a tremendous amount of effort trying to deal with the crisis at hand. On the ground, most of the true marketers I know spend 80 percent to 90 percent of their time dealing with the fire du jour. The rest of the time they're in meetings, getting excoriated for not moving the organization forward.

I have a good marketing friend who is ostensibly a product developer -- and he'd be a crackerjack product developer if he'd ever get a break from fighting fires long enough to develop a few.

Hey, you can't move the organization forward if you're always dealing with the here. In D.L. Menard's terms, you can't be where you are and where you're not at the same time.

And you want to know the funny thing? If you don't deal with where you at you're still going to be there ... because, according to the D.L. Menard School Of Marketing, no matter where you at, there you are. So you may as well move the organization forward.

Now, this is not a call to indolence. I'm not saying every Tom Marketer, Dick Marketer and Jane Marketer should respond to a call for instantaneous action by saying, "Sorry. I'm focused on moving the organization forward for the next, oh, five years."

That's not in most marketers' DNA, for one thing. In my experience, marketing people and engineers actually get things done in organizations. Everyone else is along for the ride, more or less.

However, it is an encouragement to meet those constant requests for fire-fighting with something like, "Okay, but if I do x I can't do y. Which is more important to the organization?"

The assumption most non-marketing people make about marketing people is because they can do x, y, and z, they should be doing x, y, and z, and right this minute.

Well, sorry. Take a number. If you leave it up to the marketers, the good ones will do what is best in their view for the organization, no matter how hard it is or how long it takes. The bad ones will do whatever looks the best to the most people. The plodders will do whatever's on top of the pile.

However, all marketers, when given the chance, will move the organization forward. The engineers too. There's a lot of sense in leaving both these groups to their business and spreading the aggravation earmarked for them among other entities in the company.

Assuming you want to be somewhere other than where you are, that is.

2 comments:

  1. Kit Git Hip. To truly understand, not just recognize DL's marketing genius,you gotta learn that Cajun music is more than "just polkas with fiddles and steel guitars"(and what,no accordion?!). I shared your blog with a few friends of mine that have established a chair in traditional music at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. I'm not sure if you know it, but DL is a master chairmaker. And when he gets his factory back up and running after it burned to the ground many years back, he is going to make us a chair to symbolize the endowment. Another ironic twist is that while I was reading your blog, DL called me to inquire about getting some posters printed - he wants to market his new recording, "Happy Go Lucky." Meanwhile I am launching a direct mail campaign to promote the recording to folks that are members of the Recording Academy. Thanks for post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The accordion -- how could I forget the accordion? I have one staring at me even as I write this. And I truly love Cajun music. I reviewed scores of Cajun recordings for the record-collecting magazine Goldmine and hold dear my copy of the Cajun version of Ray Stevens' novelty hit "The Streak."

    It's pretty obvious that D.L. Menard has studied at the D.L. Menard School of Marketing. And after he finishes a chair for your department, I'll bet he's gonna make one for his.

    Also, I love Lafayette. I have many happy memories of visiting my brother-in-law when he lived there and eating King Cake and crawfish pizza from establishments whose names escape me.

    Thanks for the comment. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete